Thursday, January 22, 2009

Sophie's Sad Day

Sophie's lack of weight gain meant a trip to Primary Children's Hospital for blood tests and a sweat chloride test.
Wonderful doctors, nurses, staff... but not my favorite place to visit.
I brought Madison here last year for her broken collarbone follow-up.
When I come here, I feel ugh.

Before. Oh the sweet innocence.

After. Those electrodes help force her body to sweat.
They also made her arms tingly.
She cried, "Ow" the entire time.
Even I felt traumatized.
Next came blood draw. Five vials.
It was a sad day.

So we stopped by my favorite donut bakery.
Banbury Cross makes excellent therapy.

Test results pending.
But Sophie was fine, once she had a chocolate covered
Bavarian creme filled donut hole.
So did I.

Update: Test results came back normal. Sophie is fine and box of donuts has been devoured.

10 comments:

Dave and Catherine said...

Primary Children's is where Dave accidentally drove me after I broke my back... The nurses were very nice & told him how to get to the grownup ER...

At any rate, I hope that the treatment is less traumatizing than the tests!

Karen Liu said...

Yikes! Yes, definitely less traumatic. I was actually quite grateful that the tests were simple and relatively easy. It's just difficult when your child is too young to understand why they have to go through those tests.

Greek Goddess said...

I'm sorry about the tests. We all hate having to watch our children in pain. I hope you can get the results you need.

Rebecca said...

So sorry to hear that our sweet little Sophie had to have those tests! Ouch!

Glad to hear that the tests were normal . . . what a relief! Give her a hug from NiNi!

Erin said...

Aww, poor kid! I'm glad the tests came back normal. I think I would be completely traumatized as a mother. Good thing I'm not there yet! :)

Andrea said...

That is so sad. I am glad the tests came back okay for Sophie and that she was able to get a doughnut after all that trauma.

Karen Liu said...

It was so sad. I am probably the biggest wimp on the planet when it comes to needles, blood and medical devices, and it was sad to hold her and feel powerless to comfort her. But, thankfully, kids are resilient!

Melanie said...

I'm sorry :( But I am happy to hear that the results were normal! Good news!

di said...

o fa fa muffin! :( i wish they had child-life blowing bubbles or something...i'm glad the chocolate helped. we know she loves chocolate. :) give her lots of hugs and kisses from nyc. xoxo

Lauren said...

I hate that "mean Mommy" feeling when they don't understand why you are watching them experience something like that. Very sad. But donuts can heal almost anything and I'm so glad the results were normal. Hooray.