I remember taking sewing class in eighth grade and home economics/cooking in ninth and tenth grades. That was before I hit my twenties and became a bit cynical and angry about the role of women in the world and scoffed at the idea of relegating myself to such tasks. That was before I went on a feminist rampage. That was long ago, before I gave birth to my beautiful children, before my heart softened and I realized what my role as a woman meant. And now I've chosen to be a stay-at-home mom.Things that are easy: I can run Excel spreadsheets and compose Powerpoint presentations. I was an auditor and a trainer. I can talk about geeky things like cataloging books. I worked for public and academic libraries. I can teach Chinese history. I was a teaching assistant. I can teach classical piano. I've played for 24 years. But this week as I struggled to do what doesn't come easily, I felt nothing but gratitude in my heart. Gratitude for being a mom to these loving faces who look at me and I see their Spirits shining through their bright eyes. They don't care about spreadsheets. Gratitude that I took the time, even long ago, to learn a few basic skills, so I could wow my five year-old. He doesn't care about cataloging. Gratitude that my little three year-old looked at me today and said, "Mama, I go'in be like you." All she knows is me, her mom.
As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we have been admonished to learn to become self-reliant, which includes getting out of debt, storing food and water supplies for emergency preparedness, learning to plant a garden and... sewing:• Learn to sew. Taking time to learn sewing skills enables a family to make and mend clothing, sew costumes, or make household items such as curtains or tablecloths. Basic skills practiced during a time of plenty may help a family in a time of need.
The cloaks are done. Bootcovers next. Pictures of costumes forthcoming.

4 comments:
i love love LOVE that photo - i'm totally missing out on the third one...sigh.
well, i totally appreciate your positive outlook on sewing... because let's face it, it (sewing) is the reason i completely ditched anything homemaker-ish. i mean, that's the only B+ i've ever gotten in MY ENTIRE LIFE - sewing, 9th grade (or was it 8th grade?) i was ticked. and so, i did what i do best - academics...which has led me to a wonderful profession. but i don't think my kids will be wowed by it. they'll be sad if i don't make delish character-style pancakes or create crafty things. sigh. good thing i can buy them. :) or i'll just send them to your place.
Di, You're so funny. B+ in sewing, I forgot about that. I remember when you came home... And look, the only sewing you needed was to stitch up some people! I was getting a "C" in calculus because I kept sluffing, so I withdew. And now, when do I use calculus? Never.
It's so true. Sometimes with the price of fabrics and the time spent "creating," it costs almost as much as finding a good deal at Ross. Well, atleast it's the process of creating that my kids see... I think that's what makes it worthwhile. Not the labor. Ha! Get it, Chinese labor... ok, nevermind.
Can you make some football pants for Logan?
Ha! You wish!
Hey, when are we going to have a "Star Wars" night?
Post a Comment